I bought peaches at the store the other day and hadn't eaten any yet, so I went ahead and stuck one in my scone batter and voila! Peach scones.
I even looked up some recipes online to see what I could find, and I did stumble across one on Tasty Kitchen that looked promising. I changed a few things here and there to adapt it to my needs and the end result was delish!
You know, I really just wanted this post to be mostly comprised of photos. Don't ask me why. Sometimes I'm not rational.
Vanilla, though! Vanilla is rational.
Oh yeah! Mix that puppy up!
You can probably tell, by the lack of a glaring sun in the background, that I was in an early-morning-picture-taking mood. It was, like, 8:00.
As soon as these delectable pastries were out of the oven, I packaged them up and give them all away without eating even one!
Just kidding. I totally ate 3.
Okay, I ate 4.
Anyway, here's the recipe!
Peachy Keen Scones
- 2 whole eggs, divided
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 - 3/4 C sugar (depending on how sweet you like your scones)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbs cold, unsalted butter, diced
- 1 medium peach, diced (about 1 cup of peach chunks)
- 4 tsp sugar, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 1 egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add diced butter and mix on medium speed until blended.
4. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on low. Stir in the peach chunks.
5. On a floured surface, knead the dough 7 or 8 times into a ball. Flatten the dough into a circle and cut into wedges (8 wedges for large scones or 16 for smaller ones).
6. Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl and brush on the tops of the scones. Sprinkle with sugar and bake 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving warm.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 221 calories; 8.2g fat; 56mg cholesterol; 182mg sodium; 34g carbs; .8g dietary fiber; 13g sugar; 4g protein; 73mg vitamin A; 1mg vitamin C; 81mg calcium; .6mg iron