Because I have nothing better to do than try out new recipes and relax on vacation, I have a delicious recipe to share with you on this fine August Monday. Have your breakfasts been boring you lately? Fear not! I have the perfect solution to change up your morning routine - Cinnamon Roll Pancakes! They are 100% vegan and super duper scrumptious (not to mention easy to whip up). I didn't make the cream cheese icing this time around, and the pancakes were sweet enough without it, but you can try them with the icing if you so choose. I definitely think you should try them... What can it hurt?
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
makes 6-8 pancakes
- 4 Tbs coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 C plus 2 Tbs packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 flax egg (3 Tbs ground flax + 1/4 C warm water)
- 1 C almond milk
Cream Cheese Icing (optional):
- 2 Tbs vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 Tbs Earth Balance margarine, room temperature
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Mix the coconut oil, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Transfer the mixture to a small ziplock bag and set aside.
2. Combine the flax and water in a medium bowl and let sit for a few moments. Add the oil, vanilla, and almond milk. Whisk to combine. Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir to combine.
3. Heat a skillet on medium heat. When the skillet is warm enough (test with a few drops of water - if they bead up, you're good to go), use a spoon to transfer the batter to the skillet.
4. Cut the corner off the ziplock bag and squeeze the cinnamon filling onto the pancake batter. When the batter starts to bubble, flip it over with a spatula and leave on until cooked.
5. To make the icing, whisk together the cream cheese and Earth Balance. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla; whisk to combine. Drizzle over pancakes just before serving.