Friday, April 27, 2012

Vegan Kale Pesto

School is ending! Today is the last day of classes for my entire undergraduate career. So weird. Next Sunday, I will officially have a Bachelor's degree! Therefore, my roommate and I are busy packing up our apartment, so I'm having to get creative with meals these last few days. I might have made cookies in a cup...

So that explains the plastic utensils in this photo, in case you're wondering. As for the less-than-great picture quality, you can blame that on my phone. My camera (and its new 55-200mm lens my awesome hubby bought me for my birthday!) is sitting at home, and not here. So there you go. That being said, I really wanted to share this super easy recipe for Kale Pesto with you today. It's my lunch! And I might have gone back for seconds. Don't judge.




Vegan Kale Pesto
{vegan, sugar-free, gluten-free if using g-f pasta}
adapted from In Erika's Kitchen
Makes enough for 3 servings
  • 2 - 3 C kale leaves, removed from stems and torn into small pieces
  • 1/2 - 1 C other greens, like green leaf lettuce or spinach (optional)
  • juice of 1/2 of a lemon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 C raw, unsalted cashews
  • 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
1. Add everything except the oil into your food processor. Pulse for about 10 seconds. If you have a small food processor, like I do, just add a little at a time, pulse, then add more until everything's minced and mixed.
2. Add oil through the feed tube, or take off the lid and slowly pour it in. Pulse until smooth. If you still have chunks of cashews, don't sweat it. It adds texture!
3. Add to a pot of drained, cooked pasta (I used whole wheat and spinach penne in the photo above) and stir until all the noodles are coated. Serve warm!

Nutrition Facts (per serving): 341 calories; 31.9g fat; 0mg cholesterol; 803mg sodium; 12g carbs; 2g dietary fiber; 1g sugar; 6g protein; 434mg vitamin A; 69mg vitamin C; 98mg calcium; 2.2mg iron

2 comments:

  1. What part of the store is the nutritional yeast located? Is it for texture or more protein or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find nutritional yeast in the bulk section of Whole Foods (or any other natural food store)! It looks like yellow flakes, and it's used for protein and flavor -- it tastes cheesy.

      Delete