I used to be a Summer girl. For as long as I can remember, Summer was my thing: lemonade stands, running around barefoot until it got dark at 9pm, playing in the sprinkler, no school, even walking outside and immediately sweating. I lived for Summer!
And then I discovered the magic of pumpkin. Granted, the pumpkin obsession has reached an all-time high in our country, everything imaginable being offered in a pumpkin flavor (coffee, scones, cake, muffins, candles, cookies, cupcakes, oatmeal, casseroles). But despite the overload, I still can't get enough. I tend to hoard cans of pumpkin puree throughout the year, so I can bake with it all through the month of October.
I don't know when exactly I switched from a Summer girl to an Autumn girl, but I am definitely a gigantic Fall fan now! It's partially because of the chunky sweaters, chilly air, and crunchy leaves, but it's mostly the pumpkin.
I'm even looking forward to the cold of Winter, which I have always hated with a fiery passion. I think it must be because I've lived in the South long enough... bring on the blankets!
This cake is one of the many things I've been experimenting with, pumpkin-wise, so I wanted to make sure and share its deliciousness with you! I combined a few different recipes, "veganizing" them in the process, and this was the result. It's so good, you might not be able to share with anyone. And that's okay.
What about you? Which season is your Love? Are you a pumpkin hoarder too?
Pumpkin Pound Cake with Maple Glaze
makes about 12 servings
- 1 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree (or homemade, if you wish)
- 1/3 C raw sugar
- 3/4 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C Earth Balance margarine, softened
- 4 Tbs ground flax
- 1 C warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C whole wheat flour (all-purpose works too)
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 C unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
for the glaze:
- 1/3 C unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 C pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbs Earth Balance margarine
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350* and spray a bundt cake pan with cooking spray. Mix the ground flax and warm water together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Place raw and brown sugars in a large mixing bowl, along with the 1/2 C margarine. Beat on a medium speed until blended well. Beat in the flax and water mixture, followed by the pumpkin and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture and almond milk alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
4. Spoon the batter into your prepared pan. Bake at 350* for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on the rack.
5. For the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Drizzle the hot glaze onto the cake. Slice and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 238 calories; 4.4g fat; 0mg cholesterol; 319mg sodium; 45g carbs; 6.7g dietary fiber; 23g sugar; 1g protein; 1321mg vitamin A; 66mg calcium; 1mg iron